My Grandmother's Recipes - Sandwiches

   I recently received a set of recipe cards from a cousin that were written by out grandmother Evelyn Clara (Call) Hankins, probably between 1920 (when she married) and 1962 (when she died). My grandmother was born in Wichita, Sedgewick, Kansas in 1895. Within a few months of her birth, the family moved back to Stafford, Genesee County, New York where her parents, Charles Joslin Call (1859-1939) and Elizabeth Ann Coe (1862-1956) were born. Evelyn lived in Stafford on the family farm until she left for college, first at Northwestern University in Chicago and then at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. She graduated from Cornell in 1919 with a degree in Home Economics. After graduating, she worked for a year at Wells College in Aurora, Cayuga, New York, possibly as the Superintendent of a Dormitory, as a housekeeper or as a teacher. She married my grandfather, Francis William Hankins (1897-1963) in 1920 at her parents home in Stafford. Beginning in the 1930s, my grandmother ran the farm in Collegeville, Montgomery, Pennsylvania, while my grandfather worked in Insurance. 


My Dad always talked about what a wonderful cook his mother was, so I was thrilled to receive the recipe cards. I thought I'd share the recipes here on my blog, in case others are interested in them

Here are her sandwich recipes

Maple Sundae Sandwich, Ripe Olive Sandwich and Celery Sandwich


Fruit and Nut Sandwich



Watercress Rolls 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mary Ellen (Ross) Hankins (1835-1914)

Adding a Citation to a Document using Photoshop Elements 2023