Memories of the Coes 3: Church and Sunday School

I was early taken to church and Sunday school. I don't remember when I first went. In those early days our Superintendent would assign a passage of scripture for the next Sunday's lesson. Prizes were given to those who learned the most verses. Some learned a great many, - chapters and chapters. I think I never learned so many, tho I have often wished I had. However, one way or another, I became very familiar with the scriptures. Later I read it through, - lists of names and all, a few times. We always had family prayers. Father would read a chapter, and then we all knelt while he led in prayer. My mother was always very devout, and when I looked at her, perhaps between my fingers, here eyes were pressed shut and her lips moving as she joined in prayer. 

I feel we were very fortunate children to be brought up in such an atmosphere. One stormy day the most of the family did not go to church, and when brother Ezra returned, he said "A colored man preached to-day!" I fear I was quicker to speak than to think so I asked "What color?" He was quite disgusted with me, but I still think I was somewhat justified, for it might have been a red man instead of black!

One Sunday Oliver Phelps and his bride Katy were at church. I was greatly intrigued, as "bride" represented to me delightful romance. She was a sweet dainty girl, and the ideal bride was not lowered in my estimation. 

We attended the M.E. Church Wesley Chapel, at Union Corners. That and the Asbury Church a few miles away, and had the same pastor. When several years later the little churches disbanded, I think most of those who were members of Wesley went to Pavilion to church, and those from Asbury went to Le Roy. Grandfather Ezra Coe gave the land for Wesley. It reverted to his estate when no longer used for a church, and was converted into a dwelling. It now stands on the original site. - Asbury was moved and converted into a barn by Charles Walker. in 1931, on the site of the old Asbury Chapel, a tablet was unveiled with appropriate ceremonies. 

_____
Patty's notes on this entry 

Father - Albert Coe (1827-1907). son of Ezra Coe and Elizabeth Ann Sornberger. He married Deborah Prentice on Dec 31, 1950. 

Mother - Deborah Prentice (1833-1910), daughter of Southwick Prentice and Elizabeth Ann Smith. 

Brother Ezra - Ezra Frank Coe (1853-1942), son of Albert Coe and Deborah Prentice. 

Oliver Phelps and his bride Katy - possibly Oliver Witter Phelps (1841-1910), son of Samuel Phelps and Sophia Witter. He married Katie Elizabeth Ward Knight (1847-1906) on May 15, 1865. The family lived in Pavilion through at least the early 1900s. 

Grandfather Ezra Coe - Ezra Coe (1796-1869), son of Jesse Coe and Olive Roberts. He married Elizabeth Ann Sornberger on April 18, 1818. 

Charles Walker - possibly Charles L. Walker (1861-1945). He was living in Pavilion between 1920 and 1940. 



Previous Post in the Memories of the Coes:  Child Duties
Next Post in the Memories of the Coes: First Schooling: Teachers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Recipes - Sandwiches

Mary Ellen (Ross) Hankins (1835-1914)

Adding a Citation to a Document using Photoshop Elements 2023