Memories of the Calls 15 - Teaching

In 1879-80 I taught my first term. All the rural schools had a summer and a winter term at that time. The winter terms were considered much harder to teach, and men or experienced old teachers were employed for them. My first term was at Lime Rock two miles east of Le Roy. I think I had a $ 7.00 a week, with perhaps twenty-five pupils.

In the fall, of 1880 I went to Geneseeo State Normal school, for a year, - after the potatoes were dug! I worked pretty hard, but had a good time and made some very good friends. Byron Sherwood and Hiram Horton have been lifelong friends. Others were John Connors of Mt. Morris, W.J. Hoyt of Wellsville, and Monroe Baker of Mt Morris. The Philalathean Society was organized that year, and I was one of the early members. Dr. Wm. Milne was principal. Mrs Wells, Prof Waterbury, Prof Allen Miss Burns and Miss (Jennie) Coe were some of the teachers.

I came home for election and cast my first ballot for James A. Garfield.

The next winter, 1881-2 I taught the winter term in the Randall district with a $ 7.50 a week salary. My school average attendance, during the winter was 22 1/2.

In 1882-3, I taught in Jug City. I thought I was in clover when I was engaged for $ 10.00 a week. I should not have had that much if School Commissioner Will Prentice had not helped me.

In 1883-4 I didn't try to get a school, partly, probably because wages were so low. I taught my last term 1884-5 the winter I was married. I think I had $ 8.50 a week.


_______
Patty's notes on this entry

In 1867, the New York State Legislature established a school for training teachers at Geneseo, Livingston County. It opened it's doors in 1871 as the Geneseo Normal and Training School. In 1948, it became part of the State University of New York. Today, it is known as SUNY - Geneseo.

When Charles Call attended Geneseo Normal School, there was only one building - what became known as "Old Main". Here it is in the 1870s



Byron Sherwood may be Byron N Sherwood (1860 - 1939), son of Clark and Alvina Sherwood. In 1880, he was living with his parents in Geneseo, Livingston, New York and had attended school in past year.

Hiram Horton may be Hiram Chatfield Horton (1862-1950), son of Isiah and Ruth Ann Horton. He was born Livingston County, NY. In the spring of 1880, he was living with his parents in Victor, Ontario, NY, about 40 miles away from Geneseo.

John Connors of Mt Morris may be John Connors (1864 - ). In 1880, he was living in Geneseo, working as a farm laborer and had attended school in the past year.

W.J. Hoyt of Wellsville may be William Julius Hoyt (1859- 1933), son of Julius and Martha Hoyt. He was a lifelong resident of Wellsville.

Monroe Baker of Mt Morris may be Monroe Dana Baker (1859-1938 ), son of Anson and Martha Baker. He lived in Mt. Morris from at least 1900 through 1938.

Philalathean Society was probably an early literary society at Geneseo. The first society, Delphic, was organized in 1871. A Philalethean Society was founded in the early 1890's. So I'm not sure what Charles Call belonged to in 1880.

Dr Wm Milne is Dr William J. Milne (1843 - 1914), the first president of Geneseo Normal School.

Mon, Sep 7, 1914 – Page 7 · Democrat and Chronicle (Rochester, New York) · Newspapers.com

Mrs Wells - I have not been able to identify Mrs Wells.

Prof Waterbury was Reuben Addison Waterbury (1841-1920), son of Joel and Lucinda Waterbury. In 1880, he was living in Geneseo with his occupation listed as teacher.

Prof Allen is Jerome Allen, Ph.D. (1830-1894). In 1880, he was living in Geneseo with his occupation listed as teacher.

Obituary for Jerome AlienObituary for Jerome Alien Sat, May 26, 1894 – 2 · The Brooklyn Citizen (Brooklyn, New York) · Newspapers.com

Miss Burns may be Mary Emily Burns (1840 - 1919 ) who with her mother Emily was living in her brother-in-law, J.B. West in Geneseo in 1880. Her occupation is listed as teacher.

Miss (Jennie) Coe is Jennie C Coe (1852-1893) daughter of Amos Dixon and Mary Jane Coe. In 1875, she was living in Geneseo, with her occupation listed as teacher. Both she and Elizabeth Ann Coe (who married Charles Joslin Call) were descended from Robert Coe. They were fifth cousins once removed.

James Abram Garfield (1831-1881), a Republican, defeated Winfield Scott Hancock for the presidency in 1880. Garfield was shot by Charles J. Guiteau on July 2, 1881 and died of his wound on September 19, 1881. He was succeeded in office by Chester A. Arthur.

School Commissioner Will Prentice is William Elisha Prentice (1857-1929), son of John and Sarah Ann Prentice. He was elected Genesee County school superintendent in 1881 and 1884.


Obituary for William Prentice (Aged 73)Obituary for William Prentice (Aged 73) Wed, Feb 27, 1929 – Page 5 · Democrat and Chronicle (Rochester, New York) · Newspapers.com

Previous Post in the Series: Memories of the Calls 14 - Le Roy Academy
Next Post in the Series: Memories of the Calls 16 - Farming

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Recipes - Sandwiches

Mary Ellen (Ross) Hankins (1835-1914)

Adding a Citation to a Document using Photoshop Elements 2023